Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Another "Challenging" Day!

Ok, so . . . . maybe my title is a little misleading.  ;)  The "challenge" in my day is that I completed another page for another challenge!  But I do have to admit to having a little challenge.  I am terrible with titles.  I would love for them to be catchy and unique, but often times they seem to be, well, obvious.  Now, when you see my page, and see the title, it may seem a little blah and obvious at first.  But there is a story behind it, and that story makes it catchy and unique!  (At least I think so!)  First of all, here is the sketch, brought to you by Page Maps:



And here is my interpretation of the layout:


So, you can see my title is "Pretty Bird."  Rather obvious, right?  Well, not when you hear it's history.  First off, I had the page all put together, and my husband was critiquing.  When he asked me what I was going to title the page, I said "I don't know."  He responded, "How about 'Pretty Bird' -- you know, like from the movie, Dumb and Dumber?"  (If you haven't seen it, you're not missing anything, I promise.)  And (cue light bulb, harp music, hallelujah chorus) I said, "That is PERFECT!!"   Now, he's pretty proud of himself, thinking I'm taking the title from the movie.  BUT . . . here's the rest of the story!  If you click on the page, maybe you can read that the bird in the picture (taken at Waimea Canyon Lookout in Kauai) is a Red-Crested Cardinal.  Now, the rest of the story is that my mom LOVED cardinals.  They had them everywhere in Iowa, where she grew up.  So much so that she would talk to them.  Yes, I said talk to them.  (She mooed at cows, too, but that's for another post.)  She would whistle at them, and they would whistle back.  She taught us girls to do the same, and I have loved cardinals ever since.  What you may NOT know is that cardinals, besides their distinctive whistle, also have another call they make -- and when you hear it, it sounds, very clearly, like they are saying "Birdy, Birdy, Birdy."  So, my darling husband, knowing none of this, came up with the perfect title for my page.  Maybe I just need to quit trying so hard.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful layout and perfect title. And, I must beg to differ with you on Dumb and Dumber. I am in it so I happen to think that it is the best movie ever made. LOLOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! There was a story behind the title! Mike moos at cows also. He does a very good impression in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya CTMH sister!!! I LOVE your take on the PageMaps sketch, and that 'Moon Doggie' paper was perfect for your beautiful LO :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate:

    That is an awesome page and that says a lot coming from me because I have a fear of birds. So I will probably not be taking photos of birds but you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete